PAUL Gray, the lead singer of Australian band Wa Wa Nee, who had a string of hits in the 1980s has died after a battle with myeloma. He was 54.

Wa Wa Nee’s debut album in 1986 produced a string of hits, including Stimulation, which reached number two on the charts and I Could Make You Love Me, which reached number five.

Another single from the album, Sugar Free, also reached number 35 on the US billboard chart.

A follow-up album in 1989 fared less well, and the band broke up soon after.

Gray continued working in the music industry with acts including Tina Arena, Kate Ceberano and Bardot.

Tina Arena, who worked with Gray for almost two decades, sent her condolences.

“To have worked closely alongside Paul these last 18 years has been a privilege,” she said.

“Paul was one of the funniest, smartest musicians I have ever worked with, and a friend.

“My heart goes out to his beautiful family, who he absolutely lived for.”

Tatiana Marchant, head of music publicity group Estellar PR worked with Gray on several music tribute shows.

“He was just a genuinely good person had all the time in the world for people, worked to everyone’s strengths,” Marchant said

“Everyone loved him, the producers, the artists, the musicians, the orchestras, the conductors, they all just loved him and loved working with him”

“He was actually shy about his fame in the ’80s”

Gray was the music director in a number of musical tribute shows in recent years including the Beatles orchestra shows, Led Zeppelin tribute shows, and the Pure Gold 80s show.

He had been battling the illness for over four years.

The band Human Nature, for whom Gray was musical director for many years, released a statement expressing their sadness.

“The world stopped for a minute this morning when we heard of the passing of our dear friend Paul Gray. Paul, your heart and talent were equally great and we loved knowing and working with you for so many amazing shows over the years — maybe the rehearsals were even greater cause we hung out even closer then ),” the band members said.

“We knew of your fight and how brave and humble you were through it all but your untimely final bow is a sad and unexpected shock. We send our deepest love, our prayers and our sympathy to your family. We will always love and remember our times together mate xx9.”

Tributes have flowed from other music industry figures as well.