The artist ended rumours by endorsing Amara Enyia - "If I back you, you have a chance, absolutely."

Chance The Rapper has aired his support for Amara Enyia in Chicago’s mayoral election, after teasing that he himself could be in the running.

Yesterday, Chance tweeted the lyrics “I’m thinkin’ maybe I should”, lifted from his song ‘Somewhere In Paris’. In the 2015 track, he speaks of running for mayor. “They screaming Chano for mayor, I’m thinking maybe I should,” the artist raps.

The tweet was followed by a post confirming that the Chicago musician would be holding a press conference regarding the city’s election. “City Hall pull up,” he captioned the post.

While many fans responded calling “Chano for mayor”, it emerged that Chance was in fact endorsing Amara Enyia for the role.

As abc7 reports, Chance and Enyia hugged as the candidate was introduced.

“I would like to say – very narcissistically – if I back you, you have a chance, absolutely,” Chance said. “I want to work with somebody that’s about change. The one person, in my research of this wide-open race that’s views align with me, would obviously be candidate Amara Enyia.”

In 2017, Chance The Rapper donated $2.2 million to fund public schools in Chicago. The artist has previously donated $1 million to the education system in his home city.

Chance said of the donation: “Every contribution brings this city and this nation closer to providing a well-rounded quality education for each and every child.

“Funding quality education for public [school] students is the most important investment a community can make.”