Is the follow up to 'Skeleton Tree' incoming?

Nick Cave has revealed that work is almost complete on his “amazing” new Bad Seeds album.

The Australian musician’s last studio LP, ‘Skeleton Tree’, was released back in 2016. In a five-star review, NME described the record as “beautiful and harrowing, hard to listen to but even harder to look away from.”

Now, Cave has given an update regarding its follow-up – which will be his seventeenth Bad Seeds album.

During his Conversations event in Melbourne on Saturday evening (January 19), the singer-songwriter told fans that he’s about to wrap up the project.

“We’ve really nearly finished a new record, I would say,” Cave revealed to the Melbourne Town Hall crowd, reports an eyewitness on Reddit. “And it’s an amazing thing in my opinion.

“I’m very, very excited about it.”

Back in September, Cave’s wife Suzie Bick confirmed that the band were working on new material in Los Angeles. “Some of his songs reveal themselves at night in his fever dreams,” she said at the time. “They are his Fever Songs.”

Meanwhile, Nick Cave has recently shared a personal playlist containing songs that he believes “stand apart from the rest of music”.

Responding to a fan’s request to post his “favourite pieces of music, by artists other than yourself”, the musician instead unveiled 10 ‘hiding songs’ that were referenced in his poem, ‘The Sick Bag Song’. Artists such as Brian Eno, Neil Young, and Nina Simone were included in the list of “sacred” tracks.

Elsewhere, Cave shared an email that he sent Brian Eno in which he discusses his stance on the cultural boycott of Israel.