neil-young.jpg

Neil Young has previewed a new song titled 'Rock Starbucks' at the Democracy Now website.

At democracynow.org, Young debuts the song from his forthcoming album 'The Monsanto Years.

Monsanto is the publicly listed US corporate than makes its money genetically modifying food (GMOs). It is also the company that was behind Agent Orange, the herbicide weapon used by the American government during the Vietnam war.

Monsanto does have one friend in the music biz. U2's Bono is a fan and supporter.

At neilyoung.com, Young wrote, 'Still no latte's for me folks. I am not going to support a company that actively tries to defeat the will of the people by fighting their right to know what is in the food they eat.

'Contrary to the misleading information coming from Starbucks, the coffee company is in alliance with other Food Giants, including Monsanto, in suing the state of Vermont to overturn the GMO labeling laws voted for by the people.

'An alliance is a pact, coalition or friendship between two or more parties, made in order to advance common goals and to secure common interests. Starbucks and Monsanto are members of the Grocery Manufacturers Alliance.

'The Grocery Manufacturers Alliance sued the state of Vermont to overturn the people's will to mandate GMO labeling in Vermont.

'In communications with Starbucks the company was unresponsive to the direct question on whether Starbuck's coffee product contained GMOs.

Neil Young
California
May, 2015

The lyrics for 'Rock Starbucks' go:

If you don't like to rock Starbucks, a coffee shop
Well, you better change your station 'cause that ain't all that we got
Yeah, I want a cup of coffee, but I don't want a GMO
I like to start my day off without helping Monsanto
Monsanto
Let our farmers grow
What they want to grow

https://youtu.be/Ep1z1ayADqU