He's on the road in the US

Last night saw Morrissey return for the latest leg of his 2018 tour, airing select Smiths and solo favourites for the first time in years.

Performing at The Majestic Ventura Theater in California, Morrissey played his first show in six months in support of his latest album ‘Low In High School‘. This comes after this year saw the singer cancel all UK and European tour dates for ‘logistical’ reasons, amid ‘former fans’ planning anti-racism protests outside concerts.

Shaking up the setlist, Morrissey opened with Smiths classic ‘William, It Was Really Nothing’, having not played it since 2007. Other surprise outings included ‘Hairdresser on Fire’ being played for the first time since 2004, ‘Something Is Squeezing My Skull’ rejoining the setlist after nine years, ‘Sunny’ for the first time since 1999 and ‘Is It Really So Strange?’s first performance since 2009. ‘Break Up the Family’ also delighted fans, having not been heard at a Morrissey show in 18 years.

Morrissey’s setlist was:
William, It Was Really Nothing (First performance since 2007)
Alma Matters
I Wish You Lonely
Hairdresser on Fire (First performance since 2004)
Something Is Squeezing My Skull (First performance since 2009)
First Of The Gang To Die
When You Open Your Legs
Sunny (First performance since 1999)
Is It Really So Strange? (First performance since 2009)
The Bullfighter Dies
Dial-a-Cliché (Live debut)
If You Don’t Like Me, Don’t Look at Me
Munich Air Disaster 1958
Back on the Chain Gang (The Pretenders cover)
Spent the Day in Bed
Hold On to Your Friends
Jack the Ripper
Break Up the Family (First performance since 2000)
Encore:
Everyday Is Like Sunday
How Soon Is Now? (The Smiths song)

Morrissey’s US tour continues tonight at the Microsoft Theatre in Los Angeles.

Earlier this year, Morrissey made headlines when he discussed accusations of racism and alleged connections between Halal meat and ISIS. He also referred to Hitler as ‘left wing’ and said that London Mayor Sadiq Khan “can not talk properly”. He later issued a new statement in which he said he “despised racism and racism” and voiced his support for Muslims, while also advocating far right political party For Britain.

Among Morrissey’s other controversial comments in the last year, the indie veteran also claimed that treatment of English Defence League founder Tommy Robinson had been “shocking“, after he was jailed for 13 months for contempt of court.

Having previously shared ‘By The Time I Get To Wherever I’m Going‘ online with fans, this summer also saw Morrissey share previously unheard track ‘Blue Dreamers Eyes‘.