89565.jpg

Alanis Morissette thinks there is a 'timelessness' to her album Jagged Little Pill.

The 40-year-old is gearing up to celebrate the 20th anniversary of her highly acclaimed LP, which featured songs including Hand in My Pocket and Ironic. While some artists would tire of repeatedly singing their songs, Alanis still gets a great amount of pleasure out of performing the album.

'I thank sweet baby Jesus that I can actually perform these songs,' she told Entertainment Weekly. 'There's timelessness to it for me that I can actually stand by these lyrics still. Thank god. Because otherwise I probably wouldn't want to.'

As well as still relating to the lyrics, Alanis fondly remembers the process of making the album. The star worked with producer Glen Ballard on the record and Jagged Little Pill was released on Madonna's Maverick label.

'I remember before I met Guy Oseary at Maverick, I was writing All I Really Want in my sweatpants,' she recalled. 'And they said, 'You need to go over and meet everybody at Madonna's label.' And I said, 'I'm in my f***ing sweatpants!' And they said, 'Well, you gotta go now!' So my first meeting with the whole team was me in my sweatpants. It was horrifying. Thankfully, they loved my music.'

While Alanis is thrilled to acknowledge the album, she has spoken in the past of her difficulties coping with fame.

'I couldn't breathe. People would jump on the car when you were trying to leave somewhere - it was the kind of thing you'd see in the movies,' she told British newspaper The Sun.