Blue paint was thrown over the music icon's face...

A 29-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of criminal damage after a divisive statue of the late David Bowie was defaced for the second time in six months.

The statue of the music icon was unveiled earlier this year at the Friars Music Club in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, where the star first debuted Ziggy Stardust in the early 1970s.

But the tribute has now been defaced for the second time, with blue paint daubed over Bowie’s face. It comes after it was first vandalised in March, some 48 hours after it was first unveiled.

During the first incident, vandals spray painted ‘feed the homeless first’ – despite the artwork being raised through a mixture of grants and online crowdfunding.

Blue paint was thrown over the statue’s face… (Thames Valley Police)

At the time, the statue also proved divisive among locals who questioned the likeness of the singer. They also objected to plans for the statue to play Bowie’s music once very hour.

“I was pretty upset,” designer Andrew Sinclair told NME at the time of the first attack on the statue earlier this year.

“I just hate wanton destruction. This whole project was put together by the fans and for the fans – and for Bowie’s family and memory. There’s a lot of love and a lot of intent, and a huge amount of hard work.”

PC Terry Lewis said: ““I am appealing for anyone who may have witnessed this incident or who has any information that may help with this investigation.

“If you recognise any of the symbols in the photos, please let us know. I would also like to encourage anyone who owns a CCTV camera in this area to review the footage from Wednesday night into Thursday morning.

“If you have any information, please get in touch by using our online form, quoting reference 43180311188 or by calling 101. Alternatively you can contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.”