M83's 'Quite Different' New Album Is Done, Due in 2016

It’s been a minute since we’ve heard a new studio album from M83. Since 2011’s Hurry Up, We’re Dreaming, bandleader Anthony Gonzalez crafted the official Oblivion soundtrack and collaborated with Haim for the Insurgent track “Holes in the Sky.” At long last, M83 has completed a new studio album.

Producer Justin Meldal-Johnsen broke the news on Twitter. “A new M83 album is now finished,” he wrote on Dec. 17. “I’m very happy with it.”

Meldal-Johnsen also worked on Hurry, Up We’re Dreaming, which featured the hit “Midnight City.”

Gonzalez followed up by telling Entertainment Weekly that the new LP is “very epic” (par for the M83 course) and that it’s “quite different” from the band’s previous work.

“It’s more fun and fresh than my last album,” Gonzalez said. “But it’s good to take your listeners into a different maze, you know?”

Gonzalez also said the album’s narrative was inspired by ‘70s and ‘80s television, specifically Punky Brewster and Who’s the Boss. “I feel like TV shows are starting to sound and look the same,” he said. “There’s no more passion anymore. So this album is a tribute to those old-fashioned shows.”

Morgan Kibby, who provided vocals and keyboards for M83’s last two albums, will not be on this one, though Gonzales promises some “unexpected” guests.

Stay tuned.
Source: Billboard

I've always loved M83. Absolutely incredible and intelligent musician. Can't wait for this!!