"I assumed many of those idiosyncrasies must be his own"

Bohemian Rhapsody star Lucy Boynton has praised co-star Rami Malek for his anticipated turn as Freddie Mercury in the Queen biopic.

The Mr Robot star, 37, will unveil his portrayal of the legendary Queen frontman as the biopic hits cinemas next week.

But while early indications suggest that he’s an uncanny fit in the role, he’s been backed by co-star Boynton – who plays Mercury’s lifelong companion Mary Austin.

Speaking to The Telegraph, she hailed Malek’s ability to inhabit the legendary singer’s persona at will.

“He became Freddie so closely that I assumed many of those idiosyncrasies must be his own”, explained Boynton. “Then we started hanging out, and I realised that he could not be more different. Having got to know him better, and then gone back to watch the film, I just think… how?”

Boynton also opened up on the relationship between Mercury and Boynton, and hailed their enduring relationship for transcending apparent sexual boundaries.

“I do believe that Freddie and Mary were very evolved, that they didn’t feel the need to define anything – they just completely accepted one another”, Boynton replied when asked if Austin ever knew that Mercury was gay.

“There was a love and a bond between them that was unmistakable and undeniable. He referred to her as his common law wife. Mary allowed him the confidence and the courage to be exactly who he knew he could be.”

Meanwhile, Malek himself recently opened up on the moment that he was first offered the role of Mercury – describing it as a “gun to the head” moment.