The venue previously said they would no longer share times in a bid to "support all bands that play [there]"

London venue The 100 Club are now “rethinking” their plans not to announce set times for their shows.

The Oxford Street venue initially made the announcement earlier this week (February 11), sparking debate amongst its followers.

“The 100 Club is no longer giving out stage times to any gig we put on,” read the announcement. “We want to support all bands that play here and so would like people to watch the support acts too. It’s a great way to discover new music.”

The 100 Club is no longer giving out stage times to any gig we put on. We want to support all bands that play here and so would like people to watch the support acts too. It’s a great way to discover new music.

— The 100 Club (@100clubLondon) February 11, 2019

However, venue owner Jeff Horton is now rethinking the plan after receiving backlash from gig-goers.

“I thought it was a really good idea but quite obviously there are a lot of people out there who don’t,” Horton told the BBC.

“To be fair I’ve looked at a lot of the comments from people, the sensible comments, who are genuinely concerned about babysitters, living a long way from central London and disability access. We are obviously going to rethink what we’re going to do and try and find some middle ground,” he continued.

“In my heart of hearts I would love to see more support for support bands – they’re our next generation of big bands coming through… I didn’t mean to tell people they have to be there.”

Some previously praised the venue for the move, heralding it as a space that “has always been a showcase for breaking bands.”

However, other Twitter users also noted that the new policy could create problems for people with disabilities or those who suffer from anxiety. “This policy is really not good for disabled people, who may rely on stage times in order to a) organise transport and b) may not be able to just hang out for the entire time,” one person tweeted. “Having a disability and accessing venues is an exercise in planning, which imo this policy disrupts.”

In a reply, venue staff said they were “taking on board what people are saying and will make a further statement later this week.” They promised that those with health issues “will not be adversely affected.”

London’s Tufnell Park Dome also responded to the controversy, confirming that they’ll be sticking to their original policy.

“We will keep posting stage times because let’s be honest we’re a 14+ venue and you can all make your own minds up on what bands you wanna see by that age. Just buy some drinks when you get here, yeah? x”, the venue jokingly wrote on Twitter.

The debate follows Slaves’ divisive comments last year about not posting set times for their shows. “We were the support once,” they explained. “We wouldn’t be here if nobody turned up to watch us. So turn up when your ticket says and you’ll be fine.”

Fans again pointed out that that approach was often unrealistic for those with other commitments, while others suggested turning up early meant you might see “your new favourite band.”