'Nowhere2go' marks his first single since 2016

Earl Sweatshirt has released a new song called ‘Nowhere2go’, his first new music since 2016.

The track was released today (November 8). ‘Nowhere2go’ comes in at a brisk one minute and 55 seconds, with Earl adopting a mumble rap style and slippery, experimental production from Ade Hakim.

Some of the lyrics of ‘Nowhere2go’ point to his struggle with anxiety. On it, he raps: “I think/Spent most of my life depressed/Only thing on my mind was death/Didn’t know when my time was next.“

The LA rapper cancelled his European tour this summer citing his ongoing battle with anxiety, following the death of his father, former South African poet laureate Keorapetse Kgositsile.

Listen to the track below.

The former Odd Future rapper has been teasing fans this week by posting snippets of music on Twitter. He announced the release with an excited tweet, reading “YEEAAAAOEOOEOEOE TO SAY IM EXCITED TO B GIVING YALL MUSIC IS BIG UNDERSTATEMENT. THIS YEAR BEEN THE ROUGHEST OF MY LIFE, BUT HERE WE ARE !!!”.

However, Earl recently performed at a Mac Miller tribute concert, and appeared on Vince Staples’ new album ‘FM!‘. This recent activity points toward the release of his much-anticipated follow-up album to 2015’s ‘I Don’t Like S***, I Don’t Go Outside’.

However, there has been no word of a release date. In a three-star review of that album, the NME wrote: “It works because Earl is a rare talent. He can write about pretty much nothing and the words sing, which is fortunate because that’s largely what he does.”