Lil Wayne owed $7.72 million in back taxes

Lil Wayne has opened up about his relationship with Jay-Z, calling him a “real friend” for helping him pay off a massive tax bill.

The rapper, real name is Dwayne Michael Carter, reportedly owed $3.35 million in taxes for 2008 and $2.25 million for 2009, plus other unpaid taxes and late fees dating back in 2002, resulting in a huge bill of $7.72 million.

He’s now revealed that Jay-Z helped him to pay off the bill, despite the rapper’s seemingly tense relationship.

The pair have been known to feud in the past with Lil Wayne releasing diss track ‘It’s Good’ back in 2011. Jay-Z hit back with ‘La Familia’ in 2013 but it seems that the rappers are now firm friends.

“There’s people like JAY-Z. He helped me when I was really, really, really down. Really, really, really down,” Lil Wayne told the crowd during his show in Chicago earlier this week.

“Jay don’t want me to tell nobody. That man helped me with my taxes. He’s a real friend, y’all.”

Meanwhile it was recently revealed that Jay-Z is officially America’s richest musician after his net worth went up by $90 million this year.

The statistic comes from Forbes’ 2018 list of America’s wealthiest celebrities, where Jay-Z placed fifth, tying with Kylie Jenner thanks to her cosmetics company. George Lucas is named the richest celebrity, with a net worth of $5.4 billion, while fellow filmmaker Steven Spielberg makes it to second place with $3.7 billion.

Third place goes to Oprah with a net worth of $2.8 billion, while retired Basketball player Michael Jordan places fourth with $1.7 billion.

The only other musician in the top 10 is P Diddy, who places eighth with a net worth of $825 million.