The record was released last week...

Lil Wayne has revealed how Drake was left off a guest spot on ‘Tha Carter V’ after facing clearance issues over his inclusion.

As he discussed the album’s long-awaited release with journalist Elliott Wilson, the rapper disclosed that clearance issues had prevented Drake from making an appearance.

Instead, their 2014 collaboration ‘Believe Me’ was released after the pair worked out the tricky logistics of including it on the record.

“A few of the singles that [Drake and I] released throughout the years—those were Carter V songs”, Wayne said.

Elsewhere in the interview, he opened up on the moment that Birdman apologised to him onstage – after he was accused of orchestrating gunshots at the star’s tour bus in 2015.

“I was on stage, I was in performance mode, I was trying to remember the words,” he said.

“Somebody actually had to tell me, ‘Oh he apologized to you onstage tonight.’”

He also revealed that he had to be persuaded to feature XXXTentacion on the record, because he wasn’t aware of who the late rapper actually was.

In a three-star review of ‘Tha Carter V’, NME wrote: “Wayne blew up before streaming culture did and, although his prolific approach in some ways anticipated the online age, he remains a representative of the past, an icon who exists in a vacuum.