"White men shouting has been done so many times," Healy said

The Courteeners frontman Liam Fray has responded to Matty Healy after The 1975 frontman said people “can’t understand why a lad their age wouldn’t be wanting to be in The Courteeners.”

Healy was talking to NME, when he was asked the state of guitar music. “The interesting things for me in, let’s say ‘guitar music’, it’s pretty much women now. Look at who’s signed to my label [Dirty Hit, home to Wolf Alice, Japanese House].

“People get confused, they can’t understand why a lad their age wouldn’t be wanting to be in The Courteeners or be in a punk band more than my band. It’s because it’s done, lads, it’s done. We’ve done it. It was great but we’ve done it.

“It’s like, white men shouting has been done so many times and the interesting perspective in punk is where women are. But that’s why there are interesting bands like Idles who deal with stuff like fragility and toxic masculinity. If there’s meaning, it’ll resonate.”

Fray has now called Healy out on Twitter, writing: “Let’s talk about your NME interview.”

“Against what most of you may think, I’ve always been a fan of @Truman_Black of the 1975,” he continued. “They slogged their arsed off. Did everything right. Changed opinions. On ALL of the right things. To be appropriated in a way that I thought they were completely against, is staggering.”

Some fans assured Fray that Healy was in fact paying him a compliment. “I really dont think he meant this at all as a slight, man. He’s saying that you do a thing and you do it well; and at the same time there are some emerging waves of talent that are doing a *new* thing really well, something that’s different to previously established norms,” one user replied.

“Honestly think he was paying you a compliment,” they added. “And if you read the whole interview, you can tell it wasnt his fav so the replies are less fleshed out than usual… Read it through again and then maybe reach out privately for him to explain xx”

Healy is yet to respond to Fray on Twitter.