Young is taking time off from the BBC Radio 4 staple after she was diagnosed with fibromyalgia

Lauren Laverne has been announced as the new temporary host of Desert Island Discs after Kirsty Young decided to step aside for health reasons.

Young is just the fourth-ever host of the long-running BBC Radio 4 show, having taken over from Sue Lawley in 2006.

Young has decided to take time away from broadcasting after being diagnosed with fibromyalgia, a long-term condition with causes pain across the body and brings on fatigue. Lady Gaga also suffers from the condition.

Laverne will fill in as the host of the show during Young’s absence, with the BBC 6 Music DJ set to make her bow on the show on the third episode of the new series, which starts next month.

“Casting away some of the world’s most fascinating people is a wonderful job – however, I’m having to take some time away from Desert Island Discs as I’m suffering from a form of fibromyalgia,” Young said in a statement.

“I wish Lauren all the very best, I know she will be great. And I very much look forward to getting back to good health and back to work.”

Laverne acknowledged her new post in a tweet earlier today (August 30), adding that she sends her best wishes to the “phenomenal” Young.

Earlier this month, it was announced that Laverne will take over as the host of the 6 Music Breakfast Show in January 2019.