The singer and star of the upcoming film 'A Star Is Born' also spoke in a new interview about suffering from PTSD after she was sexually assaulted as a teenager

Lady Gaga has expressed her continuing “disbelief” with the revelations and accounts which have emerged since the arrival of the #MeToo movement just under a year ago.

Gaga, who will star in the hotly-anticipated remake of A Star Is Born opposite Bradley Cooper, has spoken in a new interview about her perspective on the movement, while also reflecting on her own experiences as a victim of sexual assault and her ongoing battle with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Speaking to Vogue, Gaga admitted that she feels like “I’ve been an advocate but also a shocked audience member, watching #MeToo happen”.

“I’m still in disbelief,” she said. “And I’ve never come forward and said who molested me, but I think every person has their own relationship with that kind of trauma.”

Gaga first revealed that she was suffering from PTSD back in 2016 a year after she spoke candidly about being raped by an undisclosed music producer at the age of 19.

Speaking about the latter, Gaga told Vogue that it took “years” before she could speak about the incident.

“No one else knew. It was almost like I tried to erase it from my brain. And when it finally came out, it was like a big, ugly monster. And you have to face the monster to heal.

“For me, with my mental-health issues, half of the battle in the beginning was, I felt like I was lying to the world because I was feeling so much pain but nobody knew,” she explained. “So that’s why I came out and said that I have PTSD, because I don’t want to hide — any more than I already have to.”

Explaining her symptoms, Gaga said: “I feel stunned. Or stunted. You know that feeling when you’re on a roller coaster and you’re just about to go down the really steep slope? That fear and the drop in your stomach? My diaphragm seizes up. Then I have a hard time breathing, and my whole body goes into a spasm. And I begin to cry.

“That’s what it feels like for trauma victims every day, and it’s… miserable. I always say that trauma has a brain. And it works its way into everything that you do.”