The two movies are released in cinemas on Friday (October 5)

Lady Gaga fans have been accused of spreading fake reviews about Venom in a bid to help the pop star’s new film, A Star Is Born.

Gaga plays rising star Ally in the new remake of the classic movie. She appears alongside Bradley Cooper (ageing rock star Jackson Maine), who also directed the film and co-wrote the screenplay.

A Star Is Born is released on the same day (October 5) as the new Marvel movie Venom, which stars Tom Hardy as freelance photographer Eddie Brock, who becomes the titular beast. The film also features Riz Ahmed, Michelle Williams, Jenny Slate, Woody Harrelson, and more.

According to Buzzfeed, fake reviews slating the Marvel movie are being spread online by Gaga’s fans in a coordinated effort. Twitter user @LGMonster95 told the website: “It’s us Gaga fans creating fake ids to trash Venom premiere. They both are getting released on the same day so we want more audience for A Star Is Born.”

Now, Marvel fans have reportedly begun to retaliate by pushing fake, negative A Star Is Born reviews.

A Star Is Born has already received a ton of praise since its premiere at Venice Film Festival in August. A review published on Talkhouse called it an “instant classic” and said: “It’s one of those rare movies that grabs you from the opening shot and then just gets better and better with each passing scene.”

Meanwhile, Gaga has said she couldn’t have pulled off her role in the movie without having made her latest album, ‘Joanne’. Speaking to Zane Lowe on Apple Music’s Beats, she said: “I think things come in sequence and artists, you know, I think that we move them to a certain cadence in a sequence, in the way that we want to put things into the world that we believe in.

“But especially with the song ‘Shallow’ being such a crucial moment in the film. I did work on ‘Joanne’ with Mark Ronson and I worked on ‘Shallow’ with Mark Ronson, and Andrew Wyatt, and Anthony Rossomando.”