Kylie Minogue has been struck down with a throat infection, forcing her to cancel a performance in Sydney.

The popstar was to perform an intimate show at the Beresford in Surry Hills, for a few hundred invited guests on Thursday as part of radio station Nova's Red Room series, to promote her upcoming album Golden.

But Minogue, who has been on a whirlwind promotional trail around the world has been ordered to rest by her doctor but promised to reschedule the gig in her home country.

"Hey #NovasRedRoom fans. I'm so sorry to have to let you know that I can't make the Red Room show this week. I have a throat infection and have been advised by my Doctor to rest," Minogue said on Twitter,

"I have tried my best to get better in time but alas, Mother Nature needs some time to get me better. I'm so sorry . I'll reschedule as soon as I can and I promise we'll make up for it. Xx".

A statement from Minogue's labels, Liberator Music/BMG, said Minogue was "devastated to disappoint her fans".

The singer has hit the promo trail hard in the weeks leading up to the release of her 14th studio album on April 6.

In the past week alone, Minogue has been sharing snaps and videos from Paris and Berlin, and before that she also performed in Barcelona, Manchester and London, according to her Instagram account.

It's Minogue's first original album since Kiss Me Once came out in 2014, and one which she said is inspired by her split from ex-fiance Joshua Sasse.

The singer is expected to return to Australia for a tour in support of Golden

"I hope to tour late next year and of course I'll come home," Minogue told AAP in December.