Novoselic, Pat Smear, and Dave Grohl performed together at Foo Fighters' Seattle concert on Saturday

Krist Novoselic has responded to fans’ criticism of the surviving Nirvana members’ recent reunion with a hilarious tweet.

The bassist joined his former bandmates Pat Smear and Dave Grohl on stage in Seattle on Saturday night (September 1) during Foo Fighters show at Safeco Field. The band and their guest performed a cover of The Vaselines‘ ‘Molly’s Lips’, which Nirvana covered several times, including on their 1992 outtakes and b-sides album, ‘Incesticide‘.

On his Twitter page, Novoselic posted a link to an article which collated negative reactions to the performance from fans. “Gotta love how they make it sound like all twenty members of Wu-Tang Clan reunited,” one wrote. The bass player showed up. One guy.”

Another added: “Dave Grohl has no business sining [sic] or playing Kurts music not right!!”

Responding to the comments and criticisms for playing without late frontman Kurt Cobain, Novoselic wrote: “We tried to get a hold of him for this gig — as many times as we tried to contact Kurt, we couldn’t get through. The phone just kept ringing & ringing. Kurt does not have email. In fact I have never emailed him in my life and I have been online since 1993.”

Saturday night’s gig was not the first time the bassist has joined Smear and Grohl at a Foo Fighters show. Last year, he appeared in Eugene, Oregon to play ‘Big Me’ with the band.

There have been several other reunions of the surviving Nirvana members over the years, including in 2014 when the band was inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. At the ceremony in Cleveland, the group performed with a host of guest singers in Cobain’s place.

Foo Fighters, meanwhile, have been forced to reschedule a number of dates after Grohl lost his voice. “After opening this leg of the tour September 1 at Safeco Field in Seattle, Dave Grohl suffered a loss of voice and is now on vocal rest,” the band said in a statement.

Referring to U2 frontman Bono abandoning a gig in Berlin after “completely losing his voice”, Grohl added: “That’s the last time I ever make out with Bono.”