"It’ll be something so weird and far-ranging in styles," he said

Metallica guitarist Kirk Hammett has described what his solo project would sound like, stating that it “would not look like a metal album at all.”

During a new interview, Hammett revealed that he has a bunch of solo material ‘sitting around’ that’s ‘obviously not Metallica stff’, adding that ‘the pile gets bigger and bigger.’

“One of these days when it feels right… I still feel I have so much to give Metallica. When that feels more complete, maybe I’ll think about doing that other stuff,” he told Metal Hammer.

“It would not look like a metal album at all,” he continued. “It’ll be something so weird and far-ranging in styles, but cohesive at the same time. I wouldn’t be surprised if all of us did some solo, independent, autonomous sort of thing. I think it’s healthy, and if anything, when you come back to the band you’d come back with more enthusiasm. It’d feel like going on a little camping trip, and it’s always good to come back home to a nice warm bed!”

During the interview, Hammett also discussed what playing the guitar means to him. “I live for playing guitar, loud and aggressive,” he said. “There’s such a therapeutic effect that happens to me, and it fills a huge gaping hole in my soul. It’s been the case since day one, and it’s still improving. I still don’t feel I’ve hit the summit; I have a long musical road to discover and experience.”

“Musically I’m in the best place I’ve ever been, and I feel very fortunate,” he added. “Some people peak right off the bat, then can’t pull off things they did when they were younger. I want to keep on going, never rest on my laurels, and always look forward.”

Earlier this week, the band announced a huge 2019 European tour – including London and Manchester shows.