Kelly Clarkson has "been excited" about becoming a judge on The Voice for a few years, but says her pregnancies got in the way of her taking on the role.

The 35-year-old singer was announced as a new judge on the U.S. TV talent show on Thursday night (11May17), in a Facebook Live video with fellow judge Blake Shelton.

Discussing her new position, Kelly told fans that she had been eager to sign up for the programme before, but expecting babies River Rose, now two, and Remington, who turned one in April, had prevented her from doing so.

“I’ve been excited about this for a few years now - the timing hasn’t been right," she explained.

Kelly will join longtime coaches Blake and Adam Levine for season 14 of The Voice when it premieres in the U.S. next year. A fourth member of the team has yet to be announced.

And Kelly said one of the main reasons she took on the role was to emerge victorious, citing her musical accolades including a CMA Award for musical event of the year, as proof that she has what it takes to win the series.

"I can’t wait to beat you - it’s going to be so glorious,” Kelly joked to Blake.

The news of Kelly's new gig comes as something of a surprise considering she had been hotly tipped to take on a judging role on the American Idol reboot. Kelly won the first ever series of the programme back in 2002 and has forged a hugely successful career around the globe since then.

But regardless of the show Kelly has signed up for, former Idol judge Harry Connick Jr. knows she will be a great mentor to her proteges.

"She's amazing. I remember when I did something with her on American Idol she was so great," Harry told Entertainment Tonight. "She's like, the perfect person to judge on a show like that. Because she knows both sides - what it's like to have hits and what it's like to be in a competition. She's going to be amazing."