The rapper had sat in silence when asked why he thought Donald Trump cared about black people

Kanye West has finally answered Jimmy Kimmel’s Trump question that left him in silence earlier this month (August 9).

During an appearance on Jimmy Kimmel Live!, the TV host reminded the rapper of his comments about George W. Bush following Hurricane Katrina, in which he said the then-US President didn’t “care about black people.”

Kimmel asked West: “It makes me wonder, what makes you think that Donald Trump does?” The star didn’t say anything in response and, seconds later, Kimmel cut to a commercial break.

Now, in a new interview broadcast on Chicago’s 107.5 WGCI Chicago, West has finally answered the question. “I feel that [Trump] cares about the way black people feel about him, and he would like for black people to like him like they did when he was cool in the rap songs and all this,” he said.

He continued: “He will do the things that are necessary to make that happen because he’s got an ego like all the rest of us, and he wants to be the greatest president, and he knows that he can’t be the greatest president without the acceptance of the black community. So it’s something he’s gonna work towards, but we’re gonna have to speak to him.”

West has been outspoken about his support for Trump, despite it causing him to be on the receiving end of a backlash. “You don’t have to agree with trump but the mob can’t make me not love him,” the rapper tweeted earlier this year.

“We are both dragon energy. He is my brother. I love everyone. I don’t agree with everything anyone does. That’s what makes us individuals. And we have the right to independent thought.”

Trump later responded to West’s tweets, writing: “Thank you Kanye, very cool!”