"I'm sorry for people that felt let down by that moment"

Kanye West has apologised for some of his controversial actions earlier this year, including wearing a MAGA hat and calling slavery “a choice”.

The rapper had provoked anger among fans and fellow stars alike when he posted a photo of himself on Twitter wearing a red Make America Great Again cap after tweeting his support for Donald Trump.

Meanwhile, during a visit to the TMZ office, West was filmed saying: “When you hear about slavery for 400 years, for 400 years?! That sounds like a choice. We’re mentally imprisoned.”

Speaking to Chicago radio station 107.5 WGCI, the star said: “I have never really approached or addressed the slavery comment fully. And it’s not something for me to overly intellectualise. This is something about the fact that it hurt people’s feelings and the way that I presented that piece of information.”

He went on to apologise for the way he expressed his thoughts, saying he could have done so in a “more calm way” but that he was “ramped up”.

“I don’t know if I properly apologised for how the slavery comment made people feel,” he continued. “I’m sorry for the one-two effect of the MAGA hat into the slave comment, and I’m sorry for people that felt let down by that moment.”

Elsewhere, West finally answered Jimmy Kimmel’s question about whether Donald Trump cares about black people. When asked during an appearance on Jimmy Kimmel Live! earlier this month, the rapper had responded by sitting in silence.

Yesterday (August 28), he responded to online mockery for wearing a pair of Yeezy slides that were a size too small for him. He posted a diagram to Twitter showing a similar footwear situation and captioned it: “The Japanese way.”