They covered The Lovin' Spoonful's 'Summer In The City'

Last night saw Johnny Marr reunite with The The‘s Matt Johnson on stage for the first time in 25 years.

Marr was performing at The Roundhouse in London in support of his acclaimed 2018 album ‘Call The Comet‘. During a set loaded with solo favourites alongside Smiths classics and two songs from his Bernard Sumner side-project Electronic, Sumner also invited Johnson to the stage for a lively cover of The Lovin’ Spoonful’s ‘Summer In The City’.

Marr served in The The from 1988–1994. Since forming the band in the late ’70s, singer/songwriter Matt Johnson has been the only permanent member of the group. Last year, Marr reunited with the band to record the song ‘You Can’t Stop What’s Coming’ for Record Store Day.

Earlier this year, Marr named the band among his past collaborators that he’d like to return to work with again.

“Last year I did a couple of things while I was making [acclaimed new album] ‘Call The Comet‘,” the guitarist and solo star told NME. “I did a The The comeback single, which was their first for 15 or 16 years. That was a real joy, to be playing behind Matt Johnson again. I never really think the door is shut on The The, and I’ve got a feeling that Modest Mouse is a chapter that’s yet to be finished. Those are the two people I’d like to work with again.”

While adding that he wouldn’t be returning with New Order’s Bernard Sumner to reform Electronic, Marr added: “There are some people I just keep going back to: Pet Shop Boys, The The, Modest Mouse. You never say never, but I’ve got too many new things that I want to do.”

Marr’s remaining UK tour dates are below. Tickets are available here.

For his intimate show at EartH in London, 100 tickets are now available for the show in-store at Rough Trade East, and every buyer will receive a free copy of his new 7” single ‘Spiral Cities’.

Tuesday November 13 2018 – SHEFFIELD O2 Academy Sheffield
Wednesday November 14 2018 – NEWCASTLE O2 Academy Newcastle
Thursday November 15 2018 – GLASGOW Barrowlands
Saturday November 17 2018 – LIVERPOOL O2 Academy Liverpool
Sunday November 18 2018 – MANCHESTER O2 Apollo
Sunday December 9 2018 – LONDON EartH