The Pittsburgh rapper tragically died on Friday (September 7) at the age of 26

John Mayer has paid tribute to the late Mac Miller following the rapper’s death last week.

Miller was found unresponsive at his San Fernando Valley home on Friday (September 7). A cause of death has yet to be officially confirmed, but numerous reports have claimed that he died from an apparent overdose. He was 26.

Tributes to the Pittsburgh rapper have continued to come in from across the entertainment world, with Mayer being just one of a number of high-profile figures to remember Miller and his music since the news of his untimely death broke.

Taking to Instagram on Saturday (September 8), Mayer – who contributed guitar to the song ‘Small Worlds’ on Miller’s final album, ‘Swimming’ – remarked that 2018 was going to be “Mac Miller’s year”.

“He made a quantum leap in his music. That’s incredibly hard to do, to evolve and get better and more focused while your career is already underway,” Mayer wrote. “You don’t get there without a lot of work, and Mac had put the work in.

“Mac put in the work,” he added. “He made his best album and formed the band that was weeks away from becoming a breakout live sensation. Believe me when I say that.

“I send my love and support to everyone who knew him better, because what relative little I did, I just adored.” Read Mayer’s full tribute to Miller above.

Another big name to pay tribute to Miller this weekend was Donald Glover, who took a pause during a Childish Gambino show in Chicago to deliver a short speech to remember Miller.