90496.jpg

Jennifer Hudson uses nerves to empower herself.

The 33-year-old star first shot to fame on US TV talent show American Idol back in 2004.

Since then, she has enjoyed huge success as both a singer and actress, and her next adventure will see her make her Broadway debut in The Color Purple.

And while she admits she is feeling apprehensive about the prospect of starring as Shug Avery in the new stage adaptation of the 1982 Alice Walker novel, Jennifer will use these nerves to better her performance.

'I think nerves are important when you're trying something new,' Jennifer told Buzzfeed of her new role. 'More than anything, I'm ready for the journey. I'm ready to get to New York and work hard. I'm ready to create something with a special group of people. The feeling of butterflies that comes with it, that's empowering and it's something I will use every night on the stage to share Shug's story with the audience.'

Jennifer will be starring alongside Orange is the New Black actress Danielle Brooks and West End star Cynthia Erivo as the protagonist Celie.

The actress continued in the interview to add that she is honoured to have been chosen to put her mark on what has become such an iconic tale.

'It has been a lifelong dream of mine to not only perform on Broadway but to join such an incredible community of artists and creators,' she said. 'Having the opportunity to make my debut with such a culturally relevant work of art is beyond exciting, it's a true honour. Furthermore to work with this talented cast and the brilliant John Doyle will, without a doubt, be one of the most memorable experiences of my life. I've always seen a bit of myself in Shug Avery. She has a big heart and feels what she feels without hesitation. I admire her depth of love and her ability to see past fear with courage and bravery. She is a force.'