Jenni Rivera Reveals Chilling Death Threats & Leaves Testimony in Never-Before-Aired Radio Interview: Listen

AP Photo/Victoria Will, Archive
Jenni Rivera photographed on Jan. 22, 2012 in Park City, Utah.
On December 9, 2012, Regional Mexican artist Jenni Rivera lost her life in a plane crash that also killed six other passengers, hours after a sold-out show in Monterrey, Mexico. Seven years later, Mexican radio personality Pepe Garza shared a never-before-aired interview with Rivera, where she gave a chilling testimony and sent a final goodbye to her family, friends, and fans.

Titled “Jenni Rivera’s Goodbye, the interview never published” on Garza’s YouTube channel “Pepe’s Office,” the 35-minute video shows the radio host with Chiquis and Johnny, two of Rivera’s children, about to listen to the interview -- which was recorded on July 27, 2012 -- for the first time.

“Jenni asked me to interview her, only the two of us, no one else,” Garza says. “In this unpublished interview, many things were revealed that are not very clear yet. She asked me to interview her because she had received death threats and she wanted to leave a testimony in case something happened.” Garza also expressed that he felt in his heart that this was the moment to publish the interview.

The Riveras attend The 2017 Latin American Music Awards at Dolby Theatre on Oct. 26, 2017 in Hollywood, Calif.
READ MORE
Chiquis, El Dasa, Larry Hernandez & More Regional Mexican Stars Strike Gold With Reality Shows
“Let’s hope this never gets aired,” the late Diva de la Banda says at the beginning. During the interview, Rivera talked about various death threats she received via email, message boards, and phone calls, specifically one where the FBI got involved regarding a threatened kidnapping if she attended a concert in Reynosa, Tamaulipas, Mexico on July 29.

“Every weekend I traveled to Mexico by road,” Jenni said. “It’s a risk that I continue taking but I do it for the love I have for my fans. That night I asked my husband to stay home with my kids in case something happened.”

In between pauses, Jenni’s younger son stated that although she never talked about those death threats with her family, she always reminded them to take care of themselves and know “where the money’s at.”

Juan Rivera, Pedro Rivera Jr., Lupillo Rivera, and Rosie Rivera participate in the "All in the Rivera Family" panel during the 2019 Billboard Latin Music Week on April 24, 2019 at The Venetian in Las Vegas.
READ MORE
Rivera Family Announces Tour Together in Honor of Jenni Rivera's Legacy at Latin Music Week 2019
“My career is so important for me,” Jenni said in her final message. “I’m a strong woman. No one, not even my team, my family, my friends, no one knows about this and I want it that way because I don’t want to scare my loved ones. I will continue going to work because I have faith in God that he will get me out of this one.”

During the emotional listening session, Rivera also noted that her biggest dream was to focus on her reality TV and radio shows in Los Angeles because she wanted to be closer to her fans. “I love what I do but I don’t want to focus that much on my singing career anymore,” she said in her spoken statement. “Because of my life, because of my kids, because of what’s happening in Mexico.”

Listen to “Jenni Rivera’s Goodbye, the interview never published” below: