The 'Sharp Objects' and 'Big Little Lies' director will tackle the couple's story in a new biopic

Jean-Marc Vallée, the director behind HBO’s Sharp Objects and Big Little Lies, will reportedly direct a new Yoko Ono and John Lennon biopic.

Ono began working with producers Michael De Luca (The Social Network) and Anthony McCarten (The Theory Of Everything) on developing the film last year. According to De Luca before Vallée came in, the biopic would “focus on the ripe and relevant themes of love, courage, and activism in the US.”

Now, Vallée has been brought in to not only direct, but rewrite McCarten’s script. It is currently unknown how he will tell the story of the couple’s relationship but it has been suggested, given the darker themes his previous work explores, he could examine a less appealing side of the Beatle and the sides of his relationship with Ono, such as drug abuse, that are often glossed over.

No casting details have been announced for the biopic at present, nor is there a release date for the film.

Earlier this month, Ono released a new, minimalist version of Lennon’s ‘Imagine’ to mark what would have been his 78th birthday. The track featured on her latest album ‘Warzone‘, which saw the musician revisit songs from her past and rework them.

Speaking about the track, she said: “‘Imagine’ was the only one I was totally nervous about, because everyone in the world knows about it and I could be criticised, but I thought it was very important to do it and my nervousness must be secondary. John and I created a lot together and he would be very happy that I did it.”

Meanwhile, Paul McCartney revealed earlier this year that Lennon had been afraid of how he would be remembered by the world.

“I remember him once particularly strangely, out of the blue, saying, ‘I worry about how people are going to remember me,'” McCartney said, adding that he had had to reassure his bandmate he would be remembered as “one of the greatest people.”