"I'm glad somebody said it. Even if it is a little soon.”

Jameela Jamil has criticised the outpouring of tributes after Karl Lagerfeld’s death, slamming him as a “fat-phobic misogynist”.

The Good Place star said the fashion icon was “talented for sure, but not the best person” after he died from pancreatic cancer on Tuesday morning.

Her outburst on Twitter came after a legion of stars including Courtney Love, Lily Allen, Kylie Minogue and Cara Delevingne rushed to pay tribute to the Chanel boss.

Sharing an article that criticised Lagerfeld, she wrote: “I’m glad somebody said it. Even if it is a little soon.”

“A ruthless, fat-phobic misogynist shouldn’t be posted all over the internet as a saint gone-too-soon. Talented for sure, but not the best person.”

The actress later said she planned to address the issue in a lengthy essay and added: “How problematic the industry has been for girls is too complex for this.”

It comes after Lagerfeld described Adele as a “little too fat” in 2012, before retracting his comments and claiming to be a big fan of the singer.

Her damning indictment of Lagerfeld is in contrast to model Delevingne, who hailed him as a “visionary and a genius.”

“He also introduced me to some of the most important and special people in my life. He is a visionary, a genius but more than that…. a dear friend. Outside of fashion, he was one of the most interesting and caring men I have ever met,” wrote Delevingne.

“I am so lucky and grateful to have had him in my life, worked with him and been able to spend time with him…. Although now, I wish it had been more. His legacy will live on forever. I miss you more than I could ever try and describe. I wish I had been able to tell you how much you meant to me.

“I love you @karllagerfeld all I can say is thank for the bottom of my heart.”

Other tributes came from the likes of Rihanna, Pharrell Williams and Courtney Love.