"I get why trap music is happening"

Huey Morgan has said that the use of drugs including Xanax and marijuana is boosting the popularity of trap music.

The Fun Lovin’ Criminals frontman said the depressants are “propelling” the Atlanta-born hip-hop genre: a genre that he can’t connect with because he doesn’t indulge in such drugs.

Morgan, 50, told the Press Association: “I’m listening to [The Notorious B.I.G]. I’m listening to Ice Cube. I’m not listening to trap music so much but I get why trap music is happening.

“It’s all that lean (prescription cough syrup) and weed and [Xanax], and all that drug shit that’s propelling this music to be really dopey.”

“I understand why people do [take drugs], and why young people are getting into it.

“It’s because we live in this really hopeless loop right now where it’s dangerous to have an opinion, it’s dangerous to be different.”

Morgan, who hosts The Huey Show on BBC Radio 6 Music, added that he find it “difficult” to listen to trap “because I’m not on those drugs”.

Social media, he said, has contributed towards driving young people to use drugs.

“For a lot of young people – and I’ve seen this time and time again – they feel the peer pressure a lot more than I did in my day,” he said.

Fun Lovin’ Criminals today (January 18) released ‘Another Mimosa’, their first album of new material since 2010’s ‘Classic Fantastic’.

The band tour the UK from January 31-March 30.