The Hives have offered an apology to the people of Boston after dedicating a song in their set about "stuff blowing up" to the city.

In April of this year two bombs exploded during the Boston Marathon, resulting in three deaths and over 250 injuries. However, last night (December 5), during their opening set for Pink at the city's TD Garden, Hives frontman Pelle Almqvist dedicated the song 'Tick, Tick, Boom' to Boston, commenting: "This song's for everyone in Boston. It's about stuff blowing up. It's called 'Tick, Tick, Boom'."

Stereogum reports that Almqvist has now issued an apology on the band's Facebook page, saying the tragic coincidence was accidental. He wrote:
About last night: I wanted to dedicate a song to the Boston crowd because they had been so great throughout the show, and unfortunately Tick Tick Boom was the next song in the set. The tragic Boston Marathon bombing never once crossed my mind while on stage, and of course it should have. My most sincere apologies to the people of Boston for this unintentional but serious mistake.
Meanwhile, The Hives are one of three bands to replace Blur on the lineup of Big Day Out festival in Australia, after they pulled out of their headline slot last month. Organisers of the touring festival recently confirmed that Liam Gallagher's Beady Eye, Deftones and Swedish rockers Hives will replace the Britpop band on the bill. The three bands join headliners Pearl Jam and Arcade Fire.

Blur withdrew from the event at the end of last month (November 24) saying they were unhappy with the way the event was being organised.