Get ready, Lovecats...

With a new album on the horizon, The Cure continue to announce dates as part of their 2019 festival tour. Check them out below.

Earlier this year, frontman Robert Smith revealed that The Cure would soon be recording new material and touring again in 2019 – teasing that they could ‘maybe’ headline Glastonbury 2019. The band then confirmed that they would be headlining ‘around 20 festivals’ throughout the year, with the majority taking place in Europe.

As time goes by, the goth-rock legends are gradually unveiling more and more shows. Check out the latest dates announced so far below, and visit here for ticket updates.

The Cure will play:

Saturday March 16 – The Festival Lawns at Carnival City, Johannesburg, South Africa
Thursday March 21 – Kenilworth Racecourse, Cape Town, South Africa
Saturday June 8 – Malahide Castle, Dublin, Ireland
Sunday June 16 – FIRENZE ROCKS Festival, Florence, Italy
Friday June 29 – Rock Werchter Festival, Belgium
Thursday July 4 – EXIT Festival Serbia
Wednesday July 17 – EJEKT Festival Plateia Nerou, Faliro, Athens, Greece

The long-running Crawley band celebrated their 40th anniversary back in July with a special show in London’s Hyde Park as part of the BST concert series. They also curated and played at this year’s Meltdown Festival.

Speaking about the Hype Park gig, NME described it as “pure perfection”, adding: “With Smith’s voice as strong and pure as it has ever been over the last four decades and the band clearly revelling in the joy of just playing, you sense that you’re witnessing that rare feat of a band perhaps entering their prime rather than their twilight years.”

Speaking about new material in the summer, Smith said that he had “hardly written any words” since their last album ‘4:13 Dream’ in 2008, but was inspired by the discoveries he made in curating this year’s Meltdown Festival.

“I have tried to write songs about something other than how I felt but they’re dry, they’re intellectual, and that’s not me,” said Smith.

Asked if he would be disappointed if the band were to never make another album, Smith replied: “I would now, yeah. Because I’ve committed myself to going into the studio and creating songs for the band, which I haven’t done for 10 years.
“Meltdown has inspired me to do something new because I’m listening to new bands. I’m enthused by their enthusiasm. So if it doesn’t work, I’ll be pretty upset, because it will mean that the songs aren’t good enough.”