Harry Styles' Pre-Super Bowl Miami Concert Ended In Disaster After Severe Weather Cancelation

Isabel Infantes/PA Images via Getty Images
Harry Styles performs on stage during day one of Capital's Jingle Bell Ball with Seat at London's O2 Arena.
It was a night that was meant to be memorable for thousands of fans, who waited over 12 hours in line and paid nearly $300, just to catch a glimpse of Harry Styles at his Super Bowl weekend concert hosted by Planet Pepsi Zero Sugar Friday night (Jan. 31) at the Meridian at Island Gardens in Miami.

The night kicked off at around 9:15 p.m. with a party-starting DJ set by Mark Ronson. Special guest Lizzo took the stage at 10 p.m., delivering her powerhouse vocals, empowering affirmations, and flute-playing while she twerked. She stormed off stage at 11 p.m., after singing hits such as “Good as Hell,” “Truth Hurts” and “Juice."

The night looked promising, with an open bar, a large venue where devoted fans had enough space to dance, and a star-studded guest list that included NFL players, Martha Stewart and singers like H.E.R.

Lizzo performs an exclusive concert for the SiriusXM and Pandora Opening Drive Super Concert Series, airing live on SiriusXM's The Heat channel, at the Fillmore Miami Beach during Super Bowl Week on Jan. 30, 2020 in Miami Beach.
READ MORE
Lizzo Honors Kobe Bryant, Celebrates Grammys at Pre-Super Bowl Show
But when fans were rushing to get their front-row spot to see Styles at exactly midnight, event organizers, as ordered by the Miami fire and police departments, announced that the show had been canceled due to a severe storm approaching. “Attention: Extreme weather is approaching. Please calmly make your way to the exits now and evacuate the general area now,” read a message on all of the screens.

Fans were in disbelief. Some stayed at the front of the stage until they had no choice but to leave and others were crying their eyes out. Getting everyone safely out of the venue was the real mess of the night. In the midst of heavy rain, staff telling people to leave the location and Uber rides being through-the-roof (with surging bringing a ride home up to $120), fans really had nowhere to go.

Harry Styles and Lizzo perform an exclusive concert for the SiriusXM and Pandora Opening Drive Super Concert Series, airing live on SiriusXM's The Heat channel, at the Fillmore Miami Beach during Super Bowl Week on Jan. 30, 2020 in Miami Beach.
READ MORE
Watch Harry Styles Join Lizzo For a Surprise Performance of 'Juice' in Miami
“My sister and I waited since 7:30 this morning for @harry_Styles,” expressed one concert-goer on Twitter. @pepsi had us wait for an 8:30 pm showtime until midnight only to cancel and leave thousands of people stranded in a flooding warehouse. The worst part is watching my little sister cry while they yell at us to leave.”

Staff members encouraged everyone to exit the facility and wait out the storm because otherwise, the “building was going to collapse” on everyone. Towards 2 a.m., some fans were still stranded inside the Meridian as others ran in the rain to grab their rideshare.

Styles -- who just so happens to be celebrating his 26th birthday today -- expressed his feelings on Twitter, saying he was very disappointed. “To those of you here in Miami, I was told there’s a severe storm on the way. The fire department would not let us do the show under any circumstances. Please stay safe. I’m so disappointed, and I’m sorry. I love you all.”

Harry Styles.

@harry_Styles
To those of you here in Miami, I was told there’s a severe storm on the way.

The fire department would not let us do the show under any circumstances. Please stay safe.

I’m so disappointed, and I’m sorry.

I love you all. H

11:18 AM - Feb 1, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy
77.8K people are talking about this
One hour after the show got canceled, Pepsi also made a statement on Twitter.

Jennifer Lopez and Shakira
READ MORE
Inside This Year's Super Bowl Halftime Show
“As ordered by the Miami Fire Dept, Planet Pepsi Zero Sugar had to, unfortunately, be canceled due to extreme weather. This was a mandatory evacuation in Miami across special event venues. We are focused on ensuring everyone is safely evacuated. We deeply apologize to the fans.”

Pepsi also assured all of the evening attendees a full refund for ticket and rideshare costs.

See some of the tweets below.

Pepsi

@pepsi
As ordered by the Miami Fire Dept, Planet Pepsi Zero Sugar had to unfortunately be canceled due to extreme weather. This was a mandatory evacuation in Miami across special event venues. We are focused on ensuring everyone is safely evacuated. We deeply apologize to the fans.

12:13 PM - Feb 1, 2020
1,265 people are talking about this

Pepsi

@pepsi
To all attendees at the Pepsi Planet Zero Sugar Party, we have notified Ticketmaster and all refunds will be automatically issued to the method of payment used to make your purchase. We will also cover ride share costs from the show. Those details are on the way.

1:27 PM - Feb 1, 2020
998 people are talking about this

Harry Styles Updates
@OFFicialHESup
#UPDATE| Fans have reported that the Pepsi crew is standing by watching and laughing at the fans evacuating in this massive storm.#HarryStyles #HarryStylesUpdates

Embedded video
1:10 PM - Feb 1, 2020
25 people are talking about this

Sarah Ciampi
@SarahCiampi
my sister & I waited since 7:30 this morning for @harry_Styles & @pepsi had us wait for an 8:30 pm showtime until midnight only to cancel & leave thousands of people stranded in a flooding warehouse & the worst part is watching my little sister cry while they yell at us to leave

Embedded video
11:21 AM - Feb 1, 2020
See Sarah Ciampi's other Tweets

Mariah☯
@mariah_moreno14
@OFFicialJoelF i Went to the @pepsi show to see @harry_Styles @LIZzo and this is what i had to go through to find an uber because they forced us out in the storm 🙃 didn't even get to see Harry preform 😭

Embedded video
11:46 AM - Feb 1, 2020
508 people are talking about this

Pepsi

@pepsi
· Feb 1, 2020
As ordered by the Miami Fire Dept, Planet Pepsi Zero Sugar had to unfortunately be canceled due to extreme weather. This was a mandatory evacuation in Miami across special event venues. We are focused on ensuring everyone is safely evacuated. We deeply apologize to the fans.

Ariel
@Ariellevinn
I waited for 12+ hours in the sun - no food/drink/bathroom. I was FRONT ROW at the barricade - I won’t ever get this chance again!!! I don’t want a refund - I want front row @harry_Styles !!

View image on Twitter
12:16 PM - Feb 1, 2020

See Ariel's other Tweets

Ariel
@Ariellevinn
EVERYONE IS CRYING. Please reschedule THIS WEEKEND @harry_Styles @pepsi ! @harry_StylesUp

Embedded video
11:58 AM - Feb 1, 2020

See Ariel's other Tweets