89340.jpg

Lucy Hale is committed to bringing awareness to meningococcal meningitis.

The disease is passed through throat or respiratory secretions and although there are only 1,000 cases of it reported in the US every year, patients can die from the bacterial infection in as little as one day.

Young people are particularly susceptible to meningitis and Lucy feels it's important she use her celebrity status to spotlight the ailment.

"I'm very aware of who supports me and who my fan base is, and that's teens," she told People magazine. "Teens are the ones that are at risk here. Oftentimes, I don't get to lend my voice to something that can change a life. Although it's a rare disease, it's one too many. It's always one too many."

Lucy, 25, has partnered with Voices of Meningitis for their Boost the Volume campaign, which challenges high school a capella groups from Los Angeles, New York, Philadelphia and Oregon to compete for a chance to sing with her.

Lucy thinks this competition is an extremely witty and timely concept.

"A capella groups are very appropriate right now with Pitch Perfect and Glee. I was never part of an a cappella group, so this is fulfilling something on my bucket list," the Pretty Little Liars actress laughed. "I was like, 'Am I too old to be in a high school a capella group?'

"But it's very fun. And the whole foundation of all of this is spreading awareness about meningococcal meningitis, and I think we can really make a difference here. I'm just overjoyed that I get to be the person that gets to talk and sing about it."