The crush took place in 2016.

Gwen Stefani faces legal action after a judge ruled that she could be held liable for allegedly causing a stampede that injured a fan.

The lawsuit was initially brought by fan Lisa Stricklin, who claimed that she was injured during a 2016 show in North Carolina after Stefani urged her fans to move closer to the stage.

According to the lawsuit, Stefani told the crowd: “If anyone wants to come down a little closer so I can see you a little better, just come on down, I don’t think anyone’s going to care.”

Stricklin said the initial rush to the stage led a crush of fans climbing over seats, which resulted in her being trampled and suffering a consequent fracture to her left leg.

Now, North Carolina judge Robert Conrad says that Stefani’s invitation means that she could be held liable – clearing promoter Live Nation of causing the incident.

In a bizarre twist, Conrad also quoted Stefani’s lyrics from ‘The Sweet Escape’ in his 32 page judgment, writing: “I know I’ve been a real bad girl / (I’ll try to change) / I didn’t mean for you to get hurt whatsoever.“

Conrad also rejected an argument from Stefani’s defence which claimed she was protected by a 1988 case that ruled in favour of Ozzy Osbourne after he was sued by the parents of a teenager who took his own life, saying his songs caused the boy to kill himself.

According to Conrad, Osbourne’s case “involved substantive lyrics – not concert directions.”

Although Stefani is yet to respond, Conrad’s judgment means a trial can start on February 19.

In other Gwen Stefani news, Michael Moore bizarrely claimed earlier this year that she sparked Donald Trump’s Presidential run.

The Fahrenheit 9/11 director said Trump was eager to prove his worth to NBC after discovering that Stefani’s fee as a coach on The Voice was higher than his fee for The Apprentice.