THE final music statement from globally acclaimed indigenous artist Gurrumul has made Australian chart history to become the first language album to debut at No.1.

Djarimirri (Child of the Rainbow) held off the streaming juggernaut of Ed Sheeran’s Divide to claim the top spot after a week-long campaign by fans on social media to champion the ambitious masterpiece.

It is the most unlikely album to top the pop charts, a bold blend of indigenous songs and chants in the language of his Gumatj and Galpu clans with intricate classical orchestral arrangements.

The distinctive patterns of the yidaki were translated into charts for the cello to mimic the sound of the indigenous instrument.

Fans have been mesmerised by the unique bridging of the two musical worlds, with the album quickly claiming the No. 1 spot on iTunes hours after its release on April 13.

It remained at the top spot throughout the week as people shared their love for the record and encouraged others to download it.

The download and CD sales were strong enough to counter Sheeran’s continued chart dominance propelled by his thousands of streams each week in 2018.

Djarimirri, which features traditional songs about the crow, the octopus, freshwater, crocodile and sunset among other indigenous totems, was completed just days before Gurrumul’s death at the age of 46 last July.

His longtime friend, producer and musical partner Michael Hohnen celebrated the phenomenal achievement of the record which was a labour of love for the artist and his team over five years.

“The history he has made taking a true Australian language and heritage to number one proves the strength of the underlying cultural identity of this nation,” he said.

“This is something we can all be proud of and we know that the support of the many people who have bought this album in the last week will be rewarded through the depth of cultural discovery that will unfold on repeated listens.”

Gurrumul’s daughter Jasmine made a rare statement on behalf of her family who were also involved in maintaining the integrity of the songs helmed by his otherworldly, mesmerising voice.

“Hello everyone. I would like to give a speech on behalf of my family and myself, to my father’s achievement that he has had a great career. For sharing our culture through his music. That he will remain in our hearts together,” she wrote.

One of his Gurrumul’s closest friends, rapper Briggs, said beyond the cultural significance of Djarimirri, he had simply wished “my mate to have a No. 1 record.”

He noted that it was an even more remarkable achievement considering the shy musician never gave interviews and maintained a cloak of mystery around his life away from the studio or concert hall.

“There is so much life in the legacy of creating something so magnificent and yes, the magnificence of it is so important,” he said.

“How I feel about the fact that it could be the first No. 1 for G is I want my mate to have a No. 1 record, like I want all my friends to get to No.1.”

The album release precedes the opening this week of the Gurrumul documentary film which traces his life from birth on Elcho Island in East Arnhem Land, through his early career with Yothu Yindi and Saltwater Band, touring the globe and playing for President Barack Obama and Queen Elizabeth and the making of Djarimirri.