Gregg Allman was honored last night in Atlanta in a tribute concert by his fellow musicians.

Allman, 66, a founding member of the Allman Brothers band, was recognized for his distinguished five-decade blues/rock career at the event called “All My Friends: Celebrating the Songs & Voice of Gregg Allman” at the Fox Theater.

Stars joining Allman — who is known for songs such as “Melissa” and “Midnight Rider” — on stage in the nearly four-hour concert included Jackson Browne, Trace Adkins, Taj Majal, and Vince Gill.

Allman admitted the event in his honor was humbling: “I try not to think about it just directly. It’s kind of like we all came to the gig together. It’s pretty overwhelming but I’ve got the music to hang onto, to keep me on the ground. Otherwise they’d have to take me out of here on a string, like a balloon.”

Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks recently announced that they will be leaving the Allman Brothers Band at the end of the year. Said Haynes: “It’s something we’ve been talking about for a long time. I’m proud to say that Gregg and I have been friends since 1981. There’s no bad blood with us. We all enjoy playing together so much that the joy will be magnified.”

The Allman Brothers Band was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1995 and has received a Lifetime Achievement Award from the Georgia Music Hall of Fame. The band also received a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award in 2012.

Gregg Allman was the recipient of a liver transplant in 2010 and has said that he feels great and is physically ready to go on tour.

Posted in: Music Posted: January 11, 2014
Gregg Allman Concert Honors Musician’s Long Career
Gregg Allman honored in Atlanta tribute concert

Gregg Allman was honored last night in Atlanta in a tribute concert by his fellow musicians.

Allman, 66, a founding member of the Allman Brothers band, was recognized for his distinguished five-decade blues/rock career at the event called “All My Friends: Celebrating the Songs & Voice of Gregg Allman” at the Fox Theater.

Stars joining Allman — who is known for songs such as “Melissa” and “Midnight Rider” — on stage in the nearly four-hour concert included Jackson Browne, Trace Adkins, Taj Majal, and Vince Gill.

Allman admitted the event in his honor was humbling: “I try not to think about it just directly. It’s kind of like we all came to the gig together. It’s pretty overwhelming but I’ve got the music to hang onto, to keep me on the ground. Otherwise they’d have to take me out of here on a string, like a balloon.”

Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks recently announced that they will be leaving the Allman Brothers Band at the end of the year. Said Haynes: “It’s something we’ve been talking about for a long time. I’m proud to say that Gregg and I have been friends since 1981. There’s no bad blood with us. We all enjoy playing together so much that the joy will be magnified.”

The Allman Brothers Band was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1995 and has received a Lifetime Achievement Award from the Georgia Music Hall of Fame. The band also received a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award in 2012.

Gregg Allman was the recipient of a liver transplant in 2010 and has said that he feels great and is physically ready to go on tour.

Posted in: Music Posted: January 11, 2014
Gregg Allman Concert Honors Musician’s Long Career
Gregg Allman honored in Atlanta tribute concert

Early last month, Elijah Blue Allman, Gregg Allman’s son with Cher, apologized to the Palin family on Twitter for his mother’s slur of Sarah Palin.