RIP

Gorilla Biscuits guitarist Alex Brown has died at the age of 52, it has been confirmed.

The New York band’s frontman Anthony Civarelli posted on social media to say that Brown passed away of natural causes due to a basal ganglia stroke.

“The world lost a son, brother, uncle, artist, musician and loving friend this week,” he wrote. “I lost my bandmate and friend of over 30 years, a piece of my heart died this week and all I can do is think of all the fun, shows, meals flights and trips we had together.

“All the late night talks and all the early morning hangs with him and my wife and kids. There will never be another alex brown.”

Civarelli said that a memorial service for Brown will take place in Iowa in the coming weeks.

“Tell the ones you love that you love them,” he added.

Bandmate Arthur Smilios wrote on Instagram that he is “completely heartbroken” over the news.

Captioning an old image of the pair on stage, the bassist wrote: “I’m going to miss you, Alex. This sums up how you made me feel. I love you, buddy. Completely heartbroken. Stage Right is going to suck.”

Touche Amore, Steve Aoki, BURN and more have also posted messages online.

Alex Brown also played in NYC bands Project X and Side By Side. Aside from music, he was a painter and exhibited some of his work at the New York gallery Feature, Inc.

Gorilla Biscuits formed in 1987 and released their first EP the following year.

The band’s influential full-length ‘Start Today’, hailed by NME as one of the best hardcore albums of all time, was released in 1989.