Ginger-Baker.jpg

Ginger Baker is not a big fan of the music he is credited with influencing.

Baker was the drummer for Cream who, with Eric Clapton and Jack Bruce, played a heavily blues influenced hard rock that is credited with being a precursor of metal, but Baker doesn't particularly like the music that came in their wake.

Ginger talked with Forbes magazine, telling them 'These people that dress up in spandex trousers with all the extraordinary makeup ' I find it incredibly repulsive, always have. I've seen where Cream is sort of held responsible for the birth of heavy metal. Well, I would definitely go for aborting [laughs]. I loathe and detest heavy metal. I think it is an abortion.'

Even though he wouldn't name the band's that he dislikes so much, he did have some special words for Led Zeppelin. 'Jimmy's [Page] a good player. I don't think Led Zeppelin filled the void that Cream left, but they made a lot of money. I probably like about 5% of what they did ' a couple of things were really cool. What I don't like is the heavy bish-bash, jing-bap, jing-bash bullshit.'

He went even farther on John Bonham. 'Years ago, John said, 'There are two drummers in rock and roll, Ginger Baker and me.' There's no way John was anywhere near what I am. He wasn't a musician. A lot of people don't realize I studied. I can write music. I used to write big band parts in 1960, '61.'

To keep up to date with GINGER follow Music-News.com here.

Tickets are available for all shows here and here.