Garth-Brooks.jpg

Garth Brooks was on-site to celebrate the grand opening of the newly renovated and expanded Child Life Zone at Texas Children's Hospital in Houston, Texas on June 26.

Funded through the Teammates for Kids foundation, which Brooks co-founded in 1999, the Zone provides a fun, safe and procedure-free environment for Texas Children's in-patient population and their families.

'The vision for Teammates for Kids is the same as it was when we started. The kids in this hospital, and hospitals around the world, have a harder climb than a kid who is not. Our job is to remind them and remind all of us that they are kids, let them be kids,' said Brooks. 'I love being part of Child Life because they understand the greatest healing principle we can bring children is to let them be children.'

Texas Children's Child Life Zone originally opened in 2001 and now features a completely renovated and expanded play space. The Zone offers a variety of video gaming choices thanks to the new Microsoft Media Wall and Surface Pro tablets. Patients can challenge their friends to a game of pool, air hockey or race car driving on the Zone's arcade games and an expanded kitchen offers unique programming for patients and families.

'Providing patients and families with the opportunity to play normalizes the hospital environment,' said Mary E. Tietjens, child life manager at Texas Children's. 'Play is a wonderful therapeutic tool that supports a healing environment and promotes positive coping. We can't thank Teammates for Kids and Microsoft enough for all they have done to make the vision a reality.'

More than 100 patients and their families attended the grand opening event and were given the chance to meet Brooks. Representatives from Teammates for Kids and Microsoft were on hand to show families the activities and resources available at the Zone. Brooks chatted with patients and families, signed autographs and posed for pictures leaving many happy smiles at the end of the day.

'Kids are what it is all about for me. They are the greatest gift God has ever invented and they should be happy,' said Brooks. 'If there is one thing I can say, it is when you walk into a room and tell others that 100 percent of the money goes to the kids, everyone is in. I am very, very proud to be a part of this.'

https://youtu.be/4CcD8Y86RwA