89829.jpg

G.R.L.'s Natasha Slayton has hinted it wasn't her decision for the band to split.

Yesterday it was confirmed that the girl group are going their separate ways nine months after the death of founding member Simone Battle, who committed suicide.

Natasha, Paula Van Oppen, Lauren Bennett and Emmalyn Estrada didn't give a reason for their decision, although Natasha has opened up a little on Twitter.

"Words can't describe how much I appreciate all of these posts from all of you.Me = emotional..If it were up to me, we would keep going (sic)," she wrote, adding pictures of love hearts to the message.

Lauren also took to the social media site, simply telling fans how much their kind words meant to her.

"Thank you for all the messages Angels," she wrote.

The news comes as something of a surprise as the group had kept working following Simone's death. In April they supported Meghan Trainor on some dates of her That Bass Tour in Australia, but it seems all might not have been well for some time.

Lauren is a prolific user of Twitter and towards the end of last month she hinted that an announcement was in the offing.

"I love u guys... I'm sorry for the lack of news it's not my fault," she wrote, following that up a week later with: "Thank u all for ridin with GRL thru the tough times.. I know it's all a bit confusing but I love you all, and care never forget (sic)."

Simone was 25 when she was found dead in her Los Angeles home in September. She is thought to have been depressed due to money troubles, but her suicide sent shockwaves through the industry as she had been one of the biggest rising talents around.

In January, the group spoke to Billboard magazine about their plans and insisted they always knew they wanted to keep making music together.

"There was never a question that we weren't going to break up," Lauren said. "We didn't know what was going to happen - we really didn't even think about it. We just got back together and just continued to do what we're doing today, to stay close, and that's just how it is. That's where we are now."

G.R.L. never released an album and were put together by Robin Antin, who also formed The Pussycat Dolls. Their biggest song was Ugly Heart, and they also appeared on Pitbull's single Wild Wild Love.