A studio recording of 'Moderation' has been shared weeks after its surprise live debut

Florence + The Machine have released two surprise new songs in ‘Moderation’ and b-side ‘Haunted House’.

The release of the studio recording of ‘Moderation’ track comes 12 days after the track was given its live debut. It was first played by Florence Welch and her band during their show at Perth’s RAC Arena on January 12.

‘Moderation’ is markedly different from Florence + The Machine’s usual sound. Based around a stark programmed drum intro, the three-minute track builds into an aggressive guitar anthem. ‘Haunted House’, meanwhile, is more stripped-back, with choral backing vocals and a piano melody.

Speaking to Zane Lowe on Apple Music’s Beats 1, Welch said: “‘Moderation’ was written during the time I was writing ‘High As Hope’. It was one of those instant songs but didn’t fit with the theme of the record cos I knew I wasn’t writing a relationship record.

“It’s about reaching outwards and being cross that someone can’t give you what you want, but the chorus came from a childhood memory of being told off in church.”

The pair of tracks are the first new Florence + The Machine songs since the release of their fourth album ‘High As Hope’ last June. The album was nominated for Best Album at the Brit Awards shortlist ceremony on Saturday (January 12), which also sees them named in the Best Female category.

Florence + The Machine’s tour of Australia and New Zealand continues until January 30, with a tour of mainland Europe from March 2-25 followed by a pair of New York shows on May 31-June 1.

They play a co-headline slot with The National at Barclaycard Presents British Summer Time at London’s Hyde Park on July 13. The festival that day also stars Lykke Li, Khruangbin and Nadine Shah. They then headline Boardmasters on August 7-11. The festival also stars Giggs, Dizzee Rascal, Idles, Franz Ferdinand and Jorja Smith. Tickets for the festivals can be bought here.