The band finished their tour in Berlin tonight

Bono alluded to what might be the end of U2, speaking onstage at the final date of the band’s ‘Experience + Innocence’ tour in Berlin tonight (November 13).

According to fan account U2gigs, who regularly provide live coverage of the band’s shows, Bono addressed the crowd at the Mercedes-Benz Arena.

“We’ve been on the road for quite some time, just going on 40 years, and this last 4 years have been really something very special for us. We’re going away now…” he said.

Some fans are speculating that this could be the end of the Irish stadium-rockers, who formed in 1976.

However the U2gigs account tried to calm panicking fans, saying: “Every tour I’ve covered, right back to Vertigo, every final gig is the same: mass panic that this is the last gig… Ten bucks says I’ll be covering another gig with you folks sometime down the track.

They did add that “this is the first time the mass panic has at least seemed plausible,” but speculated that the band would still plot something to celebrate the 40th anniversary of their album ‘Boy’ or the 30th anniversary of ‘Achtung Baby’.

At a home city gig in Dublin on the tour, U2 dusted off ‘Dirty Day’ for its first live airing in 25 years.

Ahead of the performance, Bono told the crowd about the band’s relationships with their fathers growing up in Dublin. “U2 was our way of getting out of their shadow,” the frontman said. “Our way of telling our fathers, ‘I’m not like you.’”

Last month, U2 played ‘The Unforgettable Fire’ and ‘Stay (Faraway, So Close!)’ to their crowd in Copenhagen – with the tracks previously being absent from the set for years.

During a show at London’s O2 Arena, Bono commented on Brexit, saying it was a “loss of shared dreams, shared strengths”.