The rapper was ridiculed for that very reason when the album was released in 2009

Eminem has revealed his reaction to his 2009 album ‘Relapse’ when he revisited it and the accents he used on it.

The star, whose real name is Marshall Mathers, was ridiculed upon the record’s release for the “faux-Jamaican, faux-Scottish” accents he put on in many of the record’s tracks.

Speaking to Sway Calloway in a new interview, the rapper said he also wasn’t a fan of that element of the album. “‘Relapse’ is something that I [hadn’t] looked at in a couple years, went back to and cringed at,” he said.

“I was like, ‘Jesus Christ, I didn’t even realise I was doing that many accents,'” he explained. “For whatever reason, I just got into it and started on this weird serial killer vibe kind of thing. And started wanting to talk crazy and started bending words more, and the only way you could bend them was with this accent.”

Meanwhile, Eminem also spoke about the negativity surrounding his last album ‘Revival’, saying people’s preconceived ideas about the record meant they weren’t willing to give it a chance. “When the ‘Revival’ tracklist came down the pipe, it was overwhelmingly, ‘This shit is going to be trash.’ And nobody really wanted to be wrong about it. A lot of people had already formed their opinions.”

He added: “Maybe because it doesn’t sound like everything else and what most people are doing, maybe that was what tainted their ear.”

The rapper surprise-released his latest album ‘Kamikaze‘ last month (August 31). The record features a number of diss tracks, including ‘Not Alike’, which was aimed at Machine Gun Kelly. In the interview with Sway, Eminem teased the real reason behind their feud and confirmed another diss track against the rapper was in the works.