Elton John & Taron Egerton Bring a Spark to 'Rocketman: Live in Concert' at the Greek Theatre

Alberto Pizzoli/AFP/Getty Images
Elton John and Taron Egerton pose during a photocall for the film "Rocketman" at the 72nd edition of the Cannes Film Festival in Cannes on May 16, 2019.
"Rocketman: Live in Concert," which played the Greek Theatre in Los Angeles on Oct. 17, was the latest in a boomlet of "live-to-film experiences" (which is how this show was originally branded). The Paramount film was screened in its entirety on seven large and small screens, with the Hollywood Symphony Orchestra (conducted by John Beal) onstage to play live. None of the actors sang live, however, during the screening of the film.

The highlight came at the conclusion of the film, when Elton John and Taron Egerton, the 29-year-old Welsh actor who played him, came onstage together to sing "(I'm Gonna) Love Me Again," the jubilant song which Elton and his longtime lyricist Bernie Taupin co-wrote for the film.

Dexter Fletcher, who directed the film, then returned to the stage to introduce Taupin, who said, "The music is what keeps us alive and keeps us going—and I'm just getting started." Taupin introduced two actors from the film, Jamie Bell, who played him as a voice of reason and Elton's truest friend, and Bryce Dallas Howard, who played Elton's cold and indifferent mother.

Taron Egerton as Elton John in <em>Rocketman</em>.
READ MORE
Elton John, Taron Egerton Duet On New Song '(I'm Gonna) Love Me Again' From 'Rocketman' Biopic: Listen
Egerton said "This has been the greatest creative episode of my life. The people on this stage are going to be friends for life."

Egerton noted that in the course of promoting the film, he and Elton had performed together a few times, but they had never sung Elton's 1974 classic "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me" (which Elton famously performed as a duet with George Michael at Wembley Arena in 1991). They sang it at the Greek, with Egerton demonstrating that he is a very good singer—and not just for an actor.

It's easy to see the appeal of these events. The studio can make more money off a film that has already run its course in theaters. The events also remind academy members of the film now that awards season is upon us. Egerton, in just his ninth full-length film, deserves consideration for Golden Globe and Oscar noms for best actor. "(I'm Gonna) Love Me Again" deserves consideration for best song noms.

Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling in La La Land.
READ MORE
'La La Land' in Concert at the Hollywood Bowl Proves a Bountiful Feast for the Eyes and Ears
But having an orchestra on stage to play live added little to the film. And seeing the film in an audience of Elton superfans proved to be a distraction. Every meaningful moment became an applause line. When Egerton says "Would it matter if I was (gay), Bernie" and Bell replies "No," there were whoops and cheers. When Howard delivers her crushing pronouncement "You've chosen a life of being alone. You'll never be loved properly," a fan yelled out "We love you, Elton." That's great, but it takes you out of the film.

The film has many strengths—starting with an unbeatable song score of classic Elton hits; the performances, especially by Egerton; the fantastical elements that suited the theatrical protagonist; and the smart and imaginative way that familiar songs were used to tell Elton's life story. Even lesser-known songs, such as "I Want Love," a 2001 ballad, gained meaning and depth when the lyrics were sung, in turn, by all the members of Elton's unhappy family.

Rocketman grossed $96.3 million at the U.S. box office in its three-month theatrical run, according to boxofficemojo.com. Even so, it's seen by some as a box-office disappointment because it grossed less than half as much as Bohemian Rhapsody, the 2018 biopic about another British rock legend, Freddie Mercury. But that's unfair. Rocketman was still a hit, just not a box office phenomenon like that Oscar-winning smash. Rocketman is the fourth highest-grossing music biopic since 1978, according to boxofficemojo.com. It trails Bohemian Rhapsody ($216.4 million), Straight Outta Compton (about N.W.A, $161.2 million) and Walk the Line (about Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash, $119.5 million).