"That's great kudos to you... well done"

Elton John has told Eminem that he approves of the rapper’s apology for using the defamatory slur ‘f****t’.

In a forthcoming interview on his Rocket Hour show on Apple Music’s Beats 1, John said that he was “happy” that Eminem had said sorry for using the homophobic word in a recent song.

On Eminem’s track ‘Fall’, taken from his latest album ‘Kamikaze’, he directed a lyric at Tyler, The Creator: “Tyler create nothin’ / I see why you called yourself a f****t, bitch”.

He later rescinded the slur, saying in a September interview with Sway that he took things “too far”.

“In my quest to hurt him, I realise that I was hurting a lot of other people by saying it,” he admitted. “At the time I was so mad… it was one of the things that I kept going back to and going ‘I don’t feel right with this.'”

Describing his reasons for the controversial diss, Eminem admitted that he was first angered by Tyler’s disparaging tweets about 2014’s ‘Shady XV’. He was also annoyed by Tyler’s claim that “if you still follow Eminem, you drink way too much Mountain Dew.”

In his Rocket Hour interview with Eminem – which airs this Saturday (October 13) on Apple Music’s Beats 1 – John tells Eminem that he’s a bigger person than that.

“You’re still as feisty as you ever were which I love. I do like a little bit of feistiness,” John said. “I’m very happy that you said you don’t get to use the word f****t anymore because I think you don’t need… you’re bigger than that.

“I’m glad you said that and cleared that up and that’s great kudos to you for that. Well done. And you know, you’ve had your little moments towards Machine Gun Kelly and you put out the diss track ‘Kill Shot’, which I love, by the way.”

John then proceeded to ask Eminem about the “relatively disappointing reaction” to 2017’s ‘Revival’.

Eminem replied: “It was one of those things that… stepping away from it now, I think I realised that what people probably have gotten accustomed to is me taking some risks, and I think that ‘Revival’ was probably just too tame of an album or too… I guess tame.”

Elsewhere in the interview, Elton commended the rapper for releasing ‘Kamikaze’ – which debuted at number 1 in the Billboard 200 – so soon after ‘Revival’.

‘You couldn’t really be having a bigger moment then you have now”, Elton said. “You went in the studio and did another album straight away and it really worked. That’s great, you have great knowledge of where you stand in the world. Sometimes a non success can spur you to do bigger things.”