"Rod came up with the idea of forming a group called Nose, Teeth & Hair."

A close friend of the late Freddie Mercury has revealed how the Queen icon once considered forming a supergroup with the likes of Rod Stewart and Elton John.

Filmmaker Rudi Dolezal enjoyed an enduring friendship with the legendary singer and shot the 1991 video to Queen’s ‘These Are The Days Of Our Lives’, which would prove to be Mercury’s final appearance with the band before his death later that year.

But Dolezal was also a frequent attendee at Mercury’s now-legendary parties at his Kensington home, and says that an unlikely idea for the supergroup was discussed when both John and Stewart were in attendance one night.

“He was the greatest housewife you can imagine,” Dolezal told the New York Post.

“Freddie invited me to his private functions often, and, at one dinner party, the guests included Rod Stewart and Elton John. I remember there was a lot of bitching about other artists, and about themselves. I think Rod came up with the idea of forming a group called Nose, Teeth & Hair, because Rod had a big nose, Elton had problems with his hair and Freddie had his teeth!”

Dolezal’s comments come after Stewart previously discussed the idea in his autobiography and explained how it was initially touted during a meeting in Los Angeles.

“The band Queen rented a house in Bel Air, Los Angeles, for a while, and Elton and I spent a long evening there with Freddie Mercury, a sweet and funny man whom I really adored, discussing the possibility of the three of us forming a supergroup,” said Sir Rod.

“The name we had in mind was Nose, Teeth & hair, a tribute to each of our most remarked-upon physical attributes. The general idea was that we could appear dressed like the Beverley Sisters. Somehow this project never came to anything, which is contemporary music’s deep and abiding loss.”

Meanwhile, Freddie Mercury’s life became the toast of awards season earlier this month after Bohemian Rhapsody picked up two awards – including best actor for Rami Malek’s portrayal of the legendary frontman.