Duran Duran frontman Simon Le Bon has accused Robin Thicke of making a 'mistake' by releasing the controversial single 'Blurred Lines' and its accompanying video.

Le Bon first defends Thicke, saying "he's not a misogynist" but went on to tell the Telegraph that the theme of the song was resting on dodgy ground. He commented: "The problem with Robin Thicke's video is it disempowered all the women in it. I think Robin made a bit of a mistake, because he's not a bad guy, he's not a misogynist, but he's getting off on the chicks in the video and all that stuff. The theme of the song is, 'You say you don't want it, but you do', and that's, actually, quite scary if you carry it through, so I felt that that was a mistake."

Meanwhile, Thicke recently defended his Number One song, after student unions at various British universities banned it from being played in their bars. The University Of Edinburgh were the first to ban the track. In an interview with the BBC, Thicke said: "I don't think people got it out here in the UK in those positions of power. I think the kids get it. I just have to deal with that. I wrote it about my wife. She's my good girl. And I know she wants it because we've been together for 20 years so I can vouch for that".

University College London's student union have also banned the song as have universities in Leeds, Kingston and Derby and West Scotland Universities. Thicke has now claimed that the song's lyrics are a "feminist movement within itself". He said: "It's supposed to stir conversation, it's supposed to make us talk about what's important and what the relationship between men and women is, but if you listen to the lyrics it says 'That man is not your maker' – it's actually a feminist movement within itself."