The incident occurred last night.

Dua Lipa has issued a lengthy statement after fans were forcefully removed from her Shanghai concert.

Videos posted on social media shows fans being pulled from their seats by security officials. According to eyewitnesses, they were ejected for standing up and waving pro-gay rights flags.

In one clip, fans are seen protesting as heavy-handed officials attempt to remove them mid-way through the singer’s performance at Shanghai’s National Exhibition Centre.

Posting on Twitter, she wrote: “Last night, I did it for my fans. A promised show. I stood by them, sang with them and danced with them. I will stand by you all for your love and beliefs and I am proud and grateful that you felt safe enough to show your pride at my show.

“What you did takes a lot of bravery. I always want my music to bring strength, hope and unity.”

She added: “I was horrified by what happened and I send love to all my fans involved. I would love to come back for my fans when the time is right and hopefully see a room full of rainbows.

“I love you Shanghai.”

Lipa previously addressed the incident on-stage and appeared visibly upset.

“I want to create a really safe environment for us all to have fun”, the singer told the crowd.

“I want us all to dance. I want us all to sing, I want us all to just have a really good time.”

She added: “I would love in these last few songs for us to really, really, really enjoy ourselves. How about that?”

Although homosexuality isn’t illegal in China, LGBT groups reportedly face persecution and widespread marginalisation within society.

The singer is yet to comment in the aftermath of the incident. It marked the second and final show of her China tour, after appearing in Guangzhou on Tuesday evening.

Last week, she unveiled new single ‘Electricity’, a collaboration with Silk City’s Diplo and Mark Ronson.