"So far, 21 Savage memes have been my favourite part of the Super Bowl."

Demi Lovato has deleted her Twitter account, after facing a backlash from seemingly making light of 21 Savage‘s arrest.

The Atlanta rapper was arrested by immigration officials last night, amid allegations that he is actually British and outstayed his year long visa after arriving in the US as a teenager. Confirming his arrest, an Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) spokesman said that he is being held ahead of removal proceedings.

In the wake of the incident, a string of memes began circulating on Twitter that made light of his apparent British heritage.

But Lovato faced immediate backlash after admitting that she was enjoying the endless stream of online jokes.

“So far, 21 Savage memes have been my favourite part of the Super Bowl,” wrote Lovato on Twitter.

Hitting back at Lovato, The Internet’s Syd Tha Kid wrote: “Well @ddlovato you are a sore loser for making fun of @21savage nobody made fun of you when you were poppin them drugs…Keep that negative energy way over there, I’m praying for you too…Stay blessed. #21savage.”

Referencing Lovato’s personal battles, another user said: “Nice change for you, usually it’s heroin. #ICE isn’t a joke you stupid fucking crackhead, he is separated from his family now and the country he’s known all his adult life.”

Although not specifically naming Lovato, Migos’ Offset also refused to see the funny side.

“All the memes and shit ain’t funny,” wrote Offset.

The comments also attracted the attention of 21 Savage’s Kei Henderson, who claimed that the rapper had supported Lovato when she suffered a drug overdose last year.

“Damn. We was def Demi Lovato fans. When she was going through her shit I remember being on the tour bus and Savage said I hope she make it through that shit. People r weird bro,” wrote Henderson.

After subsequently deleting her Twitter, Lovato attempted to clarify her comments on social media.

“Wasn’t laughing at anyone getting deported, I know that’s not a joke,” she wrote.

“The meme I posted/was talking about was of him being writing with a feather pen. Sorry if I offended anyone, but it’s no excuse to laugh at someone’s addiction let alone their OD.”

Speaking after 21 Savage’s arrest, his lawyer Dina LaPolt confirmed they are working to secure his release.

“We are working diligently to get Mr Abraham-Joseph out of detention while we work with authorities to clear up any misunderstanding,” said LaPolt.

“Mr Abraham-Joseph is a role model to the young people in the country — especially in Atlanta, Georgia and is actively working in the community leading programs to help underprivileged youths in financial literacy.”